Welcome

St Mary's Church, Selborne, Hampshire

St Mary's Church was founded in Saxon times and mentioned in the Domesday Book, the present church with its Norman tower and nave, largely dates from 1180.

The church was greatly restored in the mid-19th-century by the great nephew of Gilbert White, the naturalist, who was Curate for many years until his death in 1793 and who is buried here.

White is commemorated by a glorious stained glass window depicting St.Francis and included in the many other fine treasures belonging to this beautiful church is an 800 year old font.

Outside the church are the remains of the famous 1400 year old yew tree which was blown down in gales in January 1990. The 'Selborne Yew' was recognised by the Tree Council at the time of HM Queen Elizabeth's Golden Jubilee in June 2002 as one of the 50 Great British Trees in recognition of its place in the national heritage. A cutting from the original tree is now thriving in the churchyard.



Ledger and Register Digitisation

The church ledger and registers from 1556 - 1940 have been scanned and are available for viewing either as images or as PDF downloads.

Click on Registers from the main menu.


Latest Galleries

Church Tower Views

Created 3rd Jul 2016
8 images

Old Flagpole Removal

Created 3rd Jul 2016
4 images
Services

7th May 2017 at 8:00am
Holy Communion

Rev. Canon Robin Ewbank

7th May 2017 at 10:00am
Family Service

Led by Jane Hughes.

7th May 2017 at 6:00pm
Evensong

Rev. Tony Pears

14th May 2017 at 8:00am
Holy Communion

Rev. James Anderson